Looking through my cookbooks, I had most of the ingredients for Weeknight Bolognese.
I substituted balsamic and red wine vinegar for the red wine (since I'm not drinking alcohol for the month of January...why open a bottle and waste the remainder), and dried basil for fresh. I also decreased the amount of salt because I am not a salt fan.
Easy to make and quite good!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 Tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 Tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in 12 inch skillet
- Add meat and brown
- Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano. Cook for 1 minute
- Pour in 1 cup red wine, stir
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add nutmeg, basil, cream and 1/4 cup red wine.
- Cook additional 10 minutes until thickened.
- Mix with pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.